HELP FOR IRON DEFICIENCY
Iron deficiency is the most common known form of nutritional deficiency. Iron is present in each human red blood cell and its most vital function is to carry oxygen to the tissues from the lungs through our blood. Recognizing the signs of iron deficiency is the first step to making sure your iron levels are normal. If you experience any of the symptoms of iron deficiency listed below, you may have an iron deficiency.
Symptoms of Iron Deficiency :
- Lack of energy, feeling tired and weakness
- Pale skin on the lining of the eyes, the inner mouth, gums and the nails
- Rapid and forceful heart beat
- Irregular heartbeat
- Tongue inflammation
- Decreased/loss of appetite, especially in children
- Headache at the front of your head
- Brittle hair
- Reduction in immunity and increased vulnerability to infection
- A strong desire to eat nonfoods such as ice, paint or dirt (a condition called pica)
- Concentration problems
- Sleeping problems
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormal paleness or lack of color of the skin
- Concave and brittle nails
- Difficulty swallowing
- Loss of appetite
- Chest pain
If you have any of these iron deficiency symptoms, talk with your doctor. Iron deficiency may be a contributing factor.
- “Iron Deficiency Anemia.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 18 Oct. 2019. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20355034.
- Seligman, Paul A., et al. “Clinical Studies of Hip: An Oral Heme-Iron Product.” Nutrition Research, vol. 20, no. 9, 2000, pp. 1279–1286., doi:10.1016/s0271-5317(00)00215-3.
- Abdelazim IA, Abu-Faza M, Elbiaa AA, Othman HS, Alsharif DA, Elsawah WF. Heme iron polypeptide (proferrin®-ES) versus iron saccharate complex (ferrosac) for treatment of iron deficiency anemia during pregnancy. Acta Med Int 2017;4:56-61